Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Next Stop, Monticello

So following the Reunion and our family vacation, we were home for a very few days, and then we were off again. Mike got to work 3 full days and one half day and then on Thursday afternoon, July 23, we drove across the bottom of Colorado to Monticello. It was a really beautiful drive.
We were most excited about being back with our big girls. We had missed Brittany and Allison but boy did they have a good time. We stayed at my Grandads VERY empty house with Grandad and Grammy Redd and a few of my siblings including the Burnette family.
My Grandad passed away last April so everything in his house was being distributed among the family or sold and by the time we got there is was pretty bare. It was a bit strange. I have so many fun memories of time spent there as a child and it was just so very different, particularly without Grandad. I missed his great big "HE-Y" greeting. I missed how he always came up behind me and poked me in the sides while popping his tongue and making me squeal. The cold cereal shelves were empty, Grandad always had every kind of cold cereal you could imagine and then some. One thing that was still there were the scratchy towels. Yes I did take some of them. The big amazing down comforters were all gone. Most of the gold and blue and "super fancy" stuff from the living room was gone. Only two chairs remained and I took those. Anyway, it was a very different experience and it actually made me cry to think the house is being sold.
We went and saw the land that had been left to Dad and his siblings and climbed on the rocks. It was fun to be out exploring but boy was it hot and dry! Saturday morning we had fun at the parade and then at the carnival booths. We ate lots of good food and then it was all over way too quickly and we drove back home.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey- fun to get your vacation update. For some reason your Aug 25th post didn't show up until today. I know....I've been checking. :) Those cute Stones just keep on rollin'. Love you guys!