Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Easter to all!

We were having a big discussion about all the hype and time and activities that are Christmas and how Easter is really not that big of a deal in our culture. If there were no Easter, there would be no Christmas and that sort of thing. We talked about how we could make easter a really huge deal and do activities everyday for a month leading up to Easter Sunday. But then as I thought about it, I decided that one of the things that I really LOVE about Easter, is that I get to enjoy it. There isn't the stress of doing all the "traditional" activities and making sure that everyone of our friends and neighbors and relatives gets a gift or card etc. I like that we don't make a big deal (at all) about easter eggs and such. We do color eggs and hide candy eggs but it's just a little activity that we do at some point close to Easter. On Sunday, we have a big nice easter dinner that we all prepare together and we enjoy reading about the Savior. And I really really like the beautiful simplicity of Easter.

So with that lengthy pro-logue, here was our Easter celebration for 2011.

It began on Friday. I filled a big bowl with candy, the kids got their own eggs and filled them and then Mike and I hid them in the back yard. The kids then came out for the great egg hunt. The weather was nice. The location was prime. There are, as always, a few eggs that we never did find.
Saturday was FREEZING as we anticipated (thus the egg hunt on Friday) so we chose an indoor activity, that of coloring eggs. It was fun and not a single person ruined the clothes they were wearing. Now there's a miracle!
Then on Sunday we prepared and enjoyed our Easter Feast. We all worked together preparing the meal so it was fun for everyone. We then all really enjoyed eating the meal together while talking about some of the things we think about and love about this beautiful holiday. It was fun to hear the kids answers but I'm sorry to say I can't remember them.

We are so very thankful for the Savior, for His atonement, and for the great blessings of repentance and the resurrection.

No comments: