Caution: Some graphic images are contained in this post and may be offensive to some viewers!
March 29th 2011, Mike came home from work early to get some work done on the house, I left for a Dr. appointment. Soon after I left, Mike was walking down the stairs with his hands full of tools on one side and little Lucy on the other. He missed a stair and fell partly landing on Lucy's right leg. He heard his toe make a loud crack sound but didn't think anything of it at the time due to his concern for Lucy who was crying and quite upset. After about an hour, Lucy had calmed down some but was still crying a bit and wouldn't crawl or stand or put any weight on her right leg. Mike was afraid it might be broken so he called me as I was driving home from the Dr. and told me what had happened. I'll admit that I flipped, but just for a second. I met Mike and Lucy at an urgent care clinic. It was at about this time (nearly 2 hours later) that Mike realized his toe hurt a bit. He took his sock off and his toe looked down right ugly! At the clinic they did X-rays of both Lucy and Mike and both had broken bones. Lucy had a buckle fracture in both the tibia and fibula just a little below the knee and Mike had several breaks in the middle bone of his big toe. After 4 hours at urgent care, Lucy got a splint and Mike got a really cool shoe.
This is Mike's foot on Wednesday morning.
I didn't take a picture a few days later but that's when it looked it's worst with the whole end of his foot all swollen and bruised. It was pretty nasty. (this is the "graphic" image and I think it's really grodie! The rest are totally cute!)

Lucy got a splint. It was big and awkward but she was fine with it and happier that prior to having it on.
On Wednesday afternoon she went and saw a pediatric orthopedist and got her cute purple cast on. Doesn't she look so pleased with her pretty trophy?
She certainly didn't let it slow her down. It was on for three weeks and by the end of her cast wearing time she was almost walking in the thing. Kids are so incredibly adaptable.

Here we are at the Dr. just before she got the cast off.



No comments:
Post a Comment